Skip to content
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- water (2 cans worth, see instructions)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ground cardamom to taste
- ground cinnamon to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Heat the oil in the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic, sauté until the onion is translucent and slightly browned.
- Add the lentils and tomatoes. Use the tomato can to add two can’s worth of water.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir so that everything is well mixed.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Purée using an immersion blender.
- Add the coconut milk, stir through.
- Heat but do not let the soup boil again.
- Serve with rice, season with lime juice. Enjoy!